Tenco, Inc. is our featured employer for the month of August, so we chatted with Human Resources Director Angela Lennie about Tenco’s hiring process and what she likes about working at Tenco.
What is your hiring process from application to hire?
Complete application-online tenco.org or at location.
- Interview and complete background check packet.
- If selected, background check is conducted. (Includes-Criminal, Abuse, and Fraud)
- Once approved a physical and TB test is scheduled and the Orientation process explained and scheduled.
- 2-Day Orientation completed, then receives training at their specific location.
What position is most in demand at Tenco?
Direct Support Professionals- Responsibilities include assisting people with disabilities in their home/community to develop and maintain skills for greater independence. Also responsible for implementing the Individual Program Plan (I.P.P.), documentation of program results and communicating with the Team Leader/Residential Coordinator concerning progress, problems, etc.
What qualifications are necessary for this position?
- Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
- Credentials-High School Diploma/GED, or College Diploma/Certificate
- Good Driving Record-Certified Motor Vehicle Record (MVR)-You can obtain from the DOT Office, Sheriff Office, or online at iowadot.gov
- Auto Insurance Declaration Page (DEC Page)-must list the following:
- Your name must be on the policy as a covered driver
- Expiration Date-you will be prompted for a new one once your policy expires
- Liability Limits-you must carry liability limits of 100,000/300,000/100,000 or a combined limit of 300,000
What positions do you have the most difficult time finding qualified applicants for?
- Mid-Management Positions
- Maintenance-Environmental Services Workers
What are the average starting salaries of entry-level employees?
$9.00 per hour (Documentation Incentive-extra .50 per hour worked by completing documentation on time and turning in your time sheet on time)
What is unique about your company?
We offer flexible scheduling with a variety of shifts that operate 24 hours a day 7 days a week. At Tenco Inc. we are able to provide a vast variety of services, supports, and opportunities to the many individuals we serve in all areas of life. This aspect guarantees an always evolving work environment so it never gets boring.
What is your favorite thing about working at your company?
The individuals we serve are my favorite thing about working at Tenco Inc. It is the most gratifying experience, to be so lucky to be a part of their lives and share the many great experiences in working with them. They truly are the highlight of this job!